Belly Fat & The Consequences
If there is one issue/topic that is guaranteed to whip up emotions, anxieties,frustration and, of course, embarrassment it is the matter of belly fat AND how to get rid of it – permanently.Belly Fat is not discriminatory, it affects men, women and children.Belly fat gets you noticed !
No matter what you call it, spare tyre, pot belly or beer keg, having excess fat in your abdominal area is not a good thing for psychological as well as physical reasons. As a matter of fact, it presents a very serious danger to your health, irrespective of your age.
What Is Belly Fat ?
The fat that rests between your skin and abdominal wall is known as subcutaneous fat.
The next layer of fat, the fat that surrounds your internal organs is known as visceral fat (commonly refered to as ‘belly fat’). This type of fat is nothing to play with. It is biologically active and can produce an excess of hormones.
Belly fat is not like the fat on other parts of your body.It is far more serious. When you have excess belly fat it increases your risk for effects and diseases such as:
- Sleep apnea
- Metabolic syndrome
- Cardiovascular disease
- Breast cancer
Researchers often describe it as an active organ in the body that creates hormones and inflammatory substances.
Belly fat turns into fatty acids that can get into the liver and muscle of the body, according to Lewis Kuller, MD, DPH.
This type of drainage causes various changes, such as, an increase in bad LDL cholesterol and triglycerides.
Along with this situation,insulin stops being as effective in controlling blood sugars, which, results in insulin resistance. Insulin resistance often leads to Type 2 Diabetes and other conditions such as heart disease.
What Causes Belly Fat ?
(i) Evolution & Genetics Studies
Numerous and detailed research and observations have proven that men (and women) tend to lose fat in the extremities first. The legs, feet, hands, and arms – because these are the areas that keep us mobile, ready to run from danger. The last places to lose fat tend to be the mid-section: the belly, hips, and butt.[ information kindly received from pritikin.com ]
There are a lot of different factors that can cause someone to have an excess of belly fat. One such factor is genetics. If your parents have a lot of belly fat you are more likely to have belly fat as well. The sad truth is it can move down from generation to generation.
(ii) Hormones Imbalance
These also play a huge role. For example, after a woman goes through menopause the hormonal changes that take place can cause fat to accumilate in the belly.
(iii) Poor Diet
The most common cause of belly fat is poor dietary habits.These days many people live on a fast food diet and never take the time to go to exercise regularly. This not only leads to belly fat increase but it can also lead to obesity. So now the question is how can you get rid of belly fat?
The first thing you need to do is get your diet in check. No more eating unhealthy fast food 5 nights a week. It’s time to start cooking. You need to eat lots of fresh veggies, fruits and proteins. Items such as broccoli, spinach, carrots, oranges, pineapples, mango and chicken are all great for losing weight.
(iv) Lack of Proper Exercise
But it’s not just enough to get your diet right. You also need to start exercising. Exercising and eating right help keep your metabolism revved up. And the best part is you don’t have to workout a long time to see the results.
All it takes is 30 minutes a day of moderate to semi-intense exercise and you would be surprised how fast your body starts to change.
When you workout be sure to incorporate resistance training. The more muscle you build the more fat you will burn during a 24 hour period.
So, ladies and gentlemen don’t be afraid to increase your muscle mass. It will go a long ways towards helping you shed those extra pounds of fat.
Belly Fat In Men
One of the reasons men are more likely to have heart disease is because they tend to collect more belly fat than women, and, also earlier in life.
One study showed that too much belly fat in men is a risk for “all-cause mortality”, which means death from any kind of cause.
Too much belly fat in men has also been linked to erectile dysfunction in men over age 60 in addition to prostate cancer and cancer of the colon and rectum.
Belly Fat In Women
The hormonal imbalance caused by belly fat, can also leads to breast cancer in women, where the risk is 1/3rd higher than that in women without it. It can also cause inflammation in the body and if you know anything about inflammation you know it is the cause of a variety of different health conditions and diseases. For a useful source of information as regards inflammation for women visit this link to read a ‘Natural Approach’ article written by Dr.Marcelle Pick. Also included in this link is another article regarding the anti-inflammatory diet taken from her excellent publication ‘The Core Balance Diet’.
According to one Danish study, women are five times more likely to die from heart disease when they have lots of belly fat, large waists and high levels of fat in the blood stream.
Also, women with a lot of belly fat are more likely to require gallstone surgery.
Another problem associated with belly fat in women is Central Obesity. This occurs when the belly is larger than the hips. It can interfere with fertility and certainly increases the risk of breast cancer.
HOW CAN YOU LOSE BELLY FAT ?
First and foremost,remind yourself of the scams,magic pills and wonder systems we discussed in lesson 7.Don’t fall for claims in diet books or on the Internet that promise you’ll lose belly fat fast. Whilst making such claims may be an effective way to sell a lot of books, or get a lot of clicks online, there is no good scientific basis behind them whatsoever.
Just in case you had not realized,fat in the belly does not come off easily !
To lose belly fat you have to burn more calories than you eat. Create a calorie deficit, keep at it, and you will lose excess fat, wherever it is stored in your body.
More Saturated Fat= More Belly Fat
More Sugar= More Belly Fat
It was with this controversial topic in mind that when we constructed our weekly newsletter ( ‘Borromeo’) to accompany the lesson component of the course,we have included a specific chapter (each week) dedicated to helping the student fully appreciate the importance of Calorie Deficit. We have you covered !
HOW TO BEAT BELLY FAT
By now you should have a good idea as to the bad eating habits which are making a serious contribution to your belly fat. A new book written by Abs Diet Creator David Zinczenko which is currently topping the amazon charts and is dedicated to helping solve the problem of Belly Fat. It is called ‘Zero Belly CookBook’ and you can view its contents and reviews by clicking HERE.
To further assist you in your future food choices for Good Health and Weight Loss,watch the video below
The final part of today’s lesson 10 concerns metabolic cooking.
What Exactly is Metabolic Cooking & is it Valid ?
Metabolic Cooking can be described as an exceptional diet regime and cooking course with a purpose:
to help people to eat better and change their lifestyle. The end result is you not only lose fat but also improve your well being.
The use of the term ‘metabolic’ is very significant in that it seeks to describe the breakdown of food within our body in order to yield energy.
This programme was created by Dave Ruel, a great fitness trainer, muscle development and well-being fanatic, and his companion in life, Karine Losier, the ‘Cooking Queen’.She also has a degree in psychology and really takes an interest in the mental aspects of losing weight and dieting.
If you are one of those persons who
- Has a chaotic schedule that provides limited time for proper meal preparationis sceptical of eating plans that you consider risky for your health• is sick and tired of consuming the same kind of everyday foods over and over again• to all intent and purposes does not enjoy cooking
- Is sceptical of eating plans that you consider risky for your health
- Is sick and tired of consuming the same kind of everyday foods over and over again
- To all intent and purposes does not enjoy cooking
Metabolic Cooking may just be the answer to all or nearly all your prayers about adopting a healthy eating regime and consequently improving your lifestyle.The principle underlying this course is to provide a way to cook food that is healthy, delicious, and which promotes weight loss at the same time.The end-result is that we enjoy ALL our food, without having to worry about gaining weight.
Does the programme live up to its promise ?
- The programme consists of a series of books (download after purchase format)A wide variety of publications included providing a wealth of information on how to prepare food in a healthy, delicious, weight loss-promoting way.
- A wide variety of publications included providing a wealth of information on how to prepare food in a healthy, delicious, weight loss-promoting way.
- As mentioned earlier, the package comes with dozens of individual ebooks. The books are all filled with not just healthy recipes that are absolutely delicious, but there is a lot of information on food, dieting, and healthy eating in the books. We’re talking 250+ recipes.
- There are e-books for Breakfast meals,Chicken and Poultry,Fish and Seafood and Pork. In addition,there is also an e-book about on Juicing and Smoothies which can be very healthy as well as make weight loss easier.
- Publicatons are also included in the package for Red Meat, Side dishes and healthy Snack options.
- For the vegetarian you get a list of recipes thatyou can make with only vegetarian foods. There aren’t too many recipes, but you’ll get a few choices.
- Dessert Decadence, a book to help you prepare fat-burning desserts
- All Around the World, healthy recipes from around the globe
- Lean and Healthy Breakfasts, Volume 1.
- Tasty Meals on a Budget
- Yummy Metabolic Soups
- Recipes from the Islands
- Paleo Recipes
- Post Workout Shakes
- 5-Minute Delicious Creations
- Eggztazia, a book of egg-centric recipes
- and more…
All in all, you get almost 20 bonus books on top of the primary nine. Not bad value for the price!
- The books are a bit hard on the eyes. The green of the books doesn’t mesh well with the fonts.May be hard to read for some.
- No explanation of why these foods boost metabolism. While the book offers a lot of great recipes, it doesn’t explain why these are so good for your metabolism.
- No primary ebook. When you get started with the Metabolic Cooking program, there’s nothing to help you navigate the books. There’s no primary ebook to help you understand how to read through the books instead it just jumps right into the recipes.
- Nutritional information. Each recipe comes with the number of calories, the grams of protein and carbs, and the important nutritional information you need to know.
- Super simple instructions. There’s no complicated terms in the book, but all of the instructions are easy to follow.
- Easy to use ingredients. Some of the recipes call for ingredients that you may not have handy, but most of them can be purchased at local supermarkets. You may need to shop at a few specialty stores to find everything, but it’s worth it to put out these delicious recipes.
It is definitely worth the purchase if you want healthy, calorie-controlled recipes.Metabolic Cooking will allow you to become conscious of unhealthy foods and ingredients and replace them with much healthier alternatives. All in all,your fat loss efforts will not be sabotaged.Its only flaw is not explaining a bit more about the principles behind the recipes.
To find out more about Dave and Karine and,of course,the Metabolic Cooking publication visit their website, HERE.
*** Well Done on completing a very important lesson ! Now try the quiz questions by logging in to your account.